This is a bucket list I made in October 2014.
- Learn Spanish
- Get a master’s degree in Psychology
- Learn to play the blues piano
- Build a house in New Orleans-style
- Run a student home in Leuven
- Run a bar with live music in Spain
- Write a book
- Start a coaching practice
- Learn NLP
- Facilitate system constellations
- Become a pro in (8-ball) pool
- Put your book for sale in Fnac
- Standup comedy/public speaking
- What I want to be: psychologist/coach/trainer/author/ musician/globetrotter
“The Bucket List” (2007) is an inspiring movie in which 2 terminally ill men (played by Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman) go on a road trip to do the things they wanted to do before they died. A bucket list is a list of goals you want to achieve, dreams you want to fulfill and things you want to experience in this lifetime (before you kick the bucket). If you don’t have a clue about your personal goals and dreams, chances are you spend most of your life caught up in day-to-day activities. Having a bucket list reminds you of what is really important to you, so you can act on them. Even if you do just one small thing each day, f.e. call a friend to ask for some advice, you’re directing yourself fully towards what matters to you.
Some things to consider when you’re writing your own bucket list:
- What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you wish you could do before you die?
- What would you do if you had unlimited time, money and resources?
- What have you always wanted to do, but haven’t done yet?
- Which countries or places do you want to visit?
- Which achievements do you want to have?
- Which experiences do you want to have/feel?
- Which special moments do you want to witness?
- What skills do you want to learn?
- What do you need to do to lead a meaningful life?
If you only make a “to do” list, it’s probably framed in a certain context like work or household stuff. A bucket list opens up this context. You can write anything and everything you’ve ever wanted to do, whether big or small. You can get into as much detail as you want and share whatever you want. The whole point of creating this list is to maximize every moment of your existence and live your life to the fullest.
Made your own bucket list? Then make sure to regularly have a look at it to see whether the things you wrote earlier are still relevant, or to strikeout the goals you might already have accomplished.